Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Terrarium - Jewel Orchids and More

The Terrarium.  This began as a failed attempt to keep geckos and frogs.  First I bought a Chinese cave gecko which escaped weeks after getting him for Christmas.  The frog only lasted a day before he disappeared.  I'm not sure if the kids just left the door open or if there is a secret black hole of amphibious doom laying hidden inside.  In either case I got to convert this into my terrarium for my real hobby, orchids, air plants, and other such exotic plants.  Here's a partial look (the gecko is plastique!).  Maidenhair fern, jewel orchid (Macodes petola), cork background and more.

Partial View of Terrarium



Close up of Macodes petola


Close up of the Macodes Petola (a jewel orchid) that I purchased at Paxton Gate in the Mission District of San Francisco many many years ago.  It has bloomed for me once, will try to post pics if I can find them, but they were tiny sprays of beautiful miniature white orchids.  It has shimmering veins of gold amidst the dark green foliage, the pictures really do it no justice, its such a beautiful plant and my favorite.  She does best when she is constantly moist, almost like a bog plant, likes to be kept very very damp.  She is sitting next to a carnivorous bog plant Pinguicula rectiflora, which has beautiful almost orchid like purple flowers that rise up from it when it blooms as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment